TEL AVIV (Agencies): The Israeli occupation army has resorted to using foreign mercenaries as part of its genocidal campaign against the besieged Gaza Strip, according to a report on Friday by major Spanish outlet El Mundo.
Among the foreign fighters is a notorious Spanish mercenary who previously fought alongside Ukrainian neo Nazis following Russia’s invasion last year. Pedro Diaz Flores was previously presumed dead by the Russians, but he is alive and well, according to the newspaper who interviewed him.
“So I came for economy, for money. They pay very well, they offer good equipment and the work is calm. It is 3,900 euros [$4,187] per week, complementary missions aside,” he said of his motives for joining the occupation forces.
However, he insists that he fights in occupied Golan Heights, “we only provide security support to arms convoys or the troops of the Israeli armed forces that are in the Gaza Strip, we do not fight Hamas directly, nor are we involved in assault operations.”
“We are in charge of the security of the checkpoints and access control on the borders of Gaza and Jordan. There are many PMCs [private military companies] here and they share the work. Traditionally they have guarded border terminals between Eliat and Aqaba,” he added.
The article features an image of Flores, 27, alongside colleagues at a border checkpoint with the Gaza Strip.
Last month, speculation arose that mercenaries stationed in Ukraine have started to divert their attention to aiding and joining the Israeli military, while the focus of the West has also shifted in standing with Israel while it commits war crimes and massacres against Palestinian civilians.
Speaking yesterday during a briefing in Kyiv with visiting European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said: “It’s clear that the war in the Middle East is taking away the focus” from Ukraine.