UPDATE – 4:
- A bomb blast reportedly occurred in Karachi Police Office (KPO) during the exchange of firing between police and terrorists that attacked the KPO on Friday.
- According to Eidhi sources, at least five people were martyred during the attack as a suicide bomber had exploded himself on the fourth floor of the KPO building.
- The Pakistan Rangers Sindh spokesman told that an operation was underway by the Anti-Terrorism Force of Rangers.
UPDATE – 3:
- One of the attackers blew himself up on the rooftop
- Four floors clear
- terrorist on the rooftop
- Police using drones to monitor situations
- Militants stormed the compound with modern weapons and dressed in police uniforms
- Some enter from the backside of HQ building
- others entered through the main gate
- TTP claims responsibility
- Its a joint ops of the Sindhudesh Liberation Army (SLA) & TTP
- 2 attackers killed
- Huge explosion was reported inside the building causing a fire
ISLAMABAD APP: Heavy firing and explosion on Friday were reported near Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) office on Karachi’s Shahrah-e-Faisal.
According to initial reports by Pakistan Television News, unidentified armed men have carried out an attack on the Karachi police chief’s office which is adjacent to the Saddar police station.
The attackers threw hand grenades from the backyard of the police head office and tried to break into the four-Storey building, said the PTV.
According to police, staffers of the CCPO are still present in the police chief’s office when the attackers carried out explosions and gunfire. There have been no casualties so far, as per initial reports.
Heavy contingents of police forces reached the head office. Meanwhile, all lights of the Karachi police chief’s office were closed.
Police officials said that they were investigating the number of attackers and their positions. Staff at the police office has reportedly turned off the lights and blocked all entrances.
UPDATE – 1:
Sources at the scene are reporting that firing is taking place inside Karachi Police Office (CCPO building Saddar) and the exchange of fire is occurring on 2nd and 3rd floors as well.
Multiple reports say there are more than 10 attackers, using hand grenades and heavy weapons.
Sources now reporting that terrorists have taken positions on the first & second floors of the Karachi Police Office (CCPO building Saddar) but have been contained there. Rangers & CTD personnel have taken positions on the ground floor as police inside maintain control of the third floor.
DIG Karachi (South) Irfan Baloch says reinforcements have taken positions outside Karachi Police Office, as Sindh Rangers’ Anti Terror Squad (ATS) have entered the KPO building.
Sources also reporting terrorists have taken a position in another multi-story building adjacent to KPO.
- Note: This is a developing story. More to follow.